Not only does this recipe take less than 30-minutes to prepare, but it can be served for a quick dinner or also as an “after party” breakfast. Leftovers heat in the microwave and sometimes taste even better than the original meal. Try some shredded hash browns on the side!
Lots of vitamins and minerals from the spinach; plenty of nutrition from the eggs and meat. Not a lot of pots and pans to clean up afterwards.
A busy working woman, or a volunteer, or golfer, can place the spinach in the refrigerator before going out in the morning and it will be thawed when ready to use. Be sure to place on paper towels or in a bowl. Or zap in the microwave to thaw while the meat is cooking.
My husband and I love this meal! We have been enjoying it for more than 30-years. And I have started the spinach defrosting because tonight I’ve decided to serve it again; it sounds too good to pass up.
Mediterranean Spinach Salad
(Makes 6 average servings; 4 larger appetites)
- Put 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a heavy 11-inch or 12-inch skillet, heat the oil and 1 Tablespoon of butter over moderate heat. Swirl to evenly coat. Throw in 1-pound lean ground beef (or turkey) to the bottom of the pan.
- Crumble meat and add the 1 small onion, finely chopped meat; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until browned.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic lightly. Stir occasionally and crumble the meat (1 10-ounce package frozen chopped) as it cooks.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook spinach (thawed and drained), until onion is tender but not browned, add in about 1/4 teaspoon dried basil and cook for 3 to 5-minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, basil, 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional) marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- Next, add in the mushrooms.
- Use 1/4 teaspoon salt and drain off any excess fat, if necessary.
- Beat the 1/4 teaspoon pepper eggs in a separate bowl and then add to the meat 7 or 8 sliced fresh mushrooms mixture, stirring over moderate heat for 5 to 7-minutes, 8 large eggs or until the eggs are set. (If you prefer, you can add another egg or two).
Serve with ketchup or, even better, your favorite salsa. Sourdough bread (toasted) is an excellent accompaniment.