Looking for something different, but with pizzazz and a little spiciness? We all crave this at some time or another. This recipe is good enough for company or that special couple joining you for dinner. And it is low calorie, low fat, and high in fiber.
Spicy Barley Jambalaya
(Makes 8 servings)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, cored and chopped
2 ribs celery, trimmed and sliced
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with jalapenos
1-1/2 cups pearl barley
1 can (14.5 oz.) low-sodium chicken broth
1 package (12 oz.) fully cooked smoked chicken sausage, sliced
1 pound cleaned shrimp
- Heat oil in a large lidded saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, green pepper, and celery and cook 5 minutes. Stir in Creole seasoning and cook 1 more minute.
- Add tomatoes, barley, broth and 1-1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer covered, 30 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in sausage and shrimp. Increase heat to medium-high. Cover and cook 5 minutes, until shrimp is opaque. Serve hot.
- Accompany your entrée with warm and crusty French bread and butter.