Being a caregiver can be challenging and stressful. But caregivers also describe their role as very meaningful. Here are a few of the many rewards that you may experience when caring for a loved one.
- You may gain new skills: You may learn to be more organized and to plan ahead
- You may learn to speak your concerns and needs more clearly
- You may discover strength and skills you did not know you had
You may also develop new and lasting friendships:
- You accomplish more and feel less alone when you connect with others who face the same challenges.
- Caregivers benefit by sharing their concerns, information and solutions with others.
- Caregiving’ is an opportunity to say, "Thank you. You are valuable to me, I love you, I care about you, I will be here for you."
You can learn about taking care of yourself too: Breathe, drink lots of water, nourish your body, sleep, move your body, laugh, write in a journal, mediate and/or visualize, give yourself some credit.